Monday, August 21, 2006

Farewell my Friend!


Russian born actor and entrepreneur Alexander Sergeyev died 3 weeks ago in a car accident, driving his beloved black beemer from Moscow to Helsinki. He was shipping it home to California and sadly never made it back. Sasha and I met on a film set in Czech Republic 2 years ago. Trapped in a castle for 6 weeks everyone got to know each other pretty well. He delighted me with his New Yorkified accent, his machine gun delivery and absolute passion. You couldn't win an argument with him, as he would either beat you down or wear you down. And it was a delight to witness. He made me laugh. He made me cry with laughter. And he made me smile without a word.

Sasha never got to see the film we worked on. He did see his parents in Moscow however, who now look after his dog Boo, an excitable recent family member who travelled with him. Sasha will be remembered for his generosity, charm, passion and fabulous sense of humour. I knew him for so short a period of time, but he left an indelible mark. I visited him the night before he left for Moscow. I'm sorry I left it so long. A truly unique individual, he will not be forgotten.

A few memories I have:-

Arguing about NY streets: "Don't tell me about New York! I know every Goddamn brick!"

Downing Tabasco shooters together.

Spending hours making calls to source a part for his beemer. Then driving from Czech to Germany on his off day to get the damn thing.

His love of red wine. And the great conversation that came with it.

Blue jeans, white sneakers (no socks), polo shirts and Abercrombie & Fitch sweaters over the shoulders.

And the myriad of Sasha-isms..."Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit"

Я буду тосковать без Вас!

1 comment:

  1. How beautiful your posting is and how senseless a death it reports of. A crying shame. I am really sorry to hear it.
    heike

    ReplyDelete